Access: Self-Referral / Partner-Referral
Cost: Free (workshops and consultations for professionals are fee-based)
Lumenus’s drug education and harm reduction program (Sessions) is a drug education workshop series that provides youth ages 14 to 24 with skills and tools to help navigate a complex, drug-using world.
Facilitators use music, art, literature, media and games to create a safe, drug-neutral space to engage youth as they develop health literacy skills. The goal is to support youth to make informed choices about their own health and wellness.
These workshop activities give young people an opportunity to:
- Discuss and analyze social and environmental influences related to drug use including alcohol, tobacco, illegal and legal (prescription) drugs
- Use a variety of communication skills to gather, evaluate and explain information and ideas related to successfully navigating a world where drug use is common, especially nicotine, caffeine, alcohol and marijuana
- Describe strategies for attaining and maintaining physical, emotional and social wellbeing during adolescence and young adulthood
- Share and discuss the complex ways in which their own lives may have been affected by drug use
- Identify existing and potential supports including friends, family, community, and institutional supports (school, health systems, etc.)
- Develop trusting relationships with peers and adult facilitators
- Build health literacy, critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Build resilience factors
Many young people struggling with mental health challenges are self-medicating with street or prescription drugs, alcohol and other substances. Sessions is their opportunity to embark on a path to be seen, be heard, be well.
Peer led workshops on various topics and substance use groups are also available.
Tuning In is a drug education program for parents/caregivers designed to help them build listening, communication and relationship skills with their children. They learn new ways to communicate with teens about substances that lead to more open discussion. Practice and supportive feedback from expert facilitators is provided and families are given a chance to share experiences and learn from each other.
Tuning In is offered as a series of three interactive workshops for parents of youth ages 14 to 24.
- Effective communication skills
- Relationship building
- Youth brain development and decision-making
- Maintaining trust and rules
- Finding accurate drug information
- Managing fears
SESSIONS and Tuning In can be done in collaboration with community partners and adapted to meet the specific needs of each setting.
Drug Education and Consultation for Organizations
Lumenus specializes in training frontline staff to communicate with youth about drugs in ways that build resilience and decrease the negative effects of stigma. We can work with teams to develop and deliver introductory, intermediate and/or advanced trainings that are adapted to meet their specific needs. Consultation is also available by request.
Examples of interactive training workshops available for professionals include:
- Motivational interviewing
- Stages of change
- Youth brain development
- Harm reduction
- Drug effects
- Anti-stigma communication and more
Additional Access Information:
Programming can be delivered at various sites.
- Toronto Urban Health Fund
For more information, please call 416-482-0081 ext. 270 or fill out the form below.
40 Orchard View Boulevard Unit 255